The Tchukudu Kids – Congo
In 2008 12 young children, all orphans as a result of the years of violent conflict in the Masisi region in eastern DRC, were brought to Goma and housed in a small wooden hut on the outskirts of the city. Kizungu Hubert became the Director of the orphanage, and in 2012 registered an NGO, Volunteers in Mission for Children Care – VMC (Volontaires en mission pour la protection de l’enfance), with these objectives:
• care of orphans and vulnerable children to provide them with harmonious growth and education
• assistance to vulnerable populations in the economic, health and social development sectors
• fight against ignorance, illiteracy, malnutrition and undernourishment
• training and preparation of young people for a profession through apprenticeship workshops
• empowerment of women and gender equality
• assistance to victims in the event of a disaster, accident or epidemic
Helen Pope and Alberto Corbino, then volunteering in the bordering Rwanda, first visited in 2009, and have supported Kizungu in his work since then.
Achievements since 2009 (with the generous contributions of Heather Haynes, Cathy Cleary, Michael and Carole Holiday, and their friends):
A new house, kitchen and bathroom for the children, playground area, security wall, installation of water tanks, Women’s Training Centre, school, and Health Clinic. Website under construction.