04. I Tchukudu Kids – Democratic Republic of Congo
(The Tchukudu is a wooden bike used in Goma that symbolizes strength, endurance and overcoming difficulties).
In 2008, 12 young children that became orphans due to years of violent conflict in the Masisi region in eastern DRC, were taken to Goma and lodged in a small wooden hut on the outskirts of the city.
Kizungu Hubert became the director of the orphanage and in 2012 registered an NGO, Volunteers in Mission for Children Care – VMC, with the following objectives:
- take care of orphans and vulnerable children to provide them with harmonious growth and education
- assist vulnerable populations in the economic, health and social development sectors
- fight ignorance, illiteracy, malnutrition and undernourishment
- train young people through apprenticeship seminars
- empower women and promote gender equality
- assist victims in case of disaster, accident or epidemic
Helen Pope and Alberto Corbino, at that time volunteers in neighboring Rwanda, visited the project for the first time in 2009 and have since then supported Kizungu in his work.
Results since 2009 (with generous contributions from Heather Haynes, Cathy Cleary, Michael and Carole Holiday and their friends) have been:
- a new house
- a kitchen and bathroom for children
- a play area
- security wall
- installation of water tanks
- a women’s training center
- a school and health clinic
|4. Project name:||Tchukudu Kids|
|Country / Place||Democratic Republic of Congo / Nord Kivu / Goma|
|Purpose of the project||Orpahanage – Children center|
|Local Partner||Volunteers in Mission for Children Care – VMC|
|FCC type of support||Financial|
|International partners||Dr. Helen Pope (https://www.tchukudukids.org)|
|Notes:||Local person in charge: Mr Kizungu Hubert|
|Donations per year (€)||Euros (activities, items)|
|2017||2.700/00 (food and other dialy needs)|
|2018||650/00 (food and other daily needs)|
|2021 (30th June)||3.000/00 (emergency due to Nyriagongo volcano eruption near Goma)|
We may be just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean is made of drops indeed!
If you like what we try to achieve, please give us a helping hand.
If you want to know more, contact us
Please, help us supporting our projects.
Everyone deserves to dream!